Sunday, June 12, 2005

It's here....part one

I'd like to start with a quote I found by Anna Quindlen:

I read and walked for miles at night along the beach...searching endlessly for someone wonderful who would step out of the darkness and change my life. It never crossed my mind that person could be me.

I've been thinking/feeling that something was coming; I finally realized that what was coming was my need to change a few things in my life. It's time for me to do a lot of the things that I've only thought about for years.

This is a little heady for me. I have no excuses left. I've used them all up. And I've also decided that lethargy is one of the most powerful forces in the universe. It's so much easier to take a nap than go for a walk. It's so much easier to eat a cookie rather than a carrot. But it's time to choose the carrot.

I've had this list of things I wanted to accomplish, (as I said) and really, that last two that are feasible right now are doing more with my scrapbooking--like actually submitting so I have a chance to be published--or if not published, at least have the satisfaction of knowing that I did something about wanting to be published instead of chickening out. The other thing on my list is losing weight and being in better shape. I want to be better than I am. Simple goal, really. So I've started denying my inner sweet tooth and indulging my inner health-food goddess. And I am walking for at least a half hour every day. Right now, since I am terribly out of shape, that's about a mile and a half. My goal is to walk 5 miles a day. I'm also going to start doing the pilates video I have rather than just looking at it on the shelf. I really dig pilates. I got into when I was a member of a fitness center about three years ago. That's the shape I want back. I'll never see my high school shape again, and that's okay. My high school shape didn't build my three wonderful children's bodies--THIS shape did. And that's pretty marvelous.

And that's the end of part one.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

yeah, i know what you mean. i've been choosing the carrot lately too. sigh. good luck on getting published!

Gamm said...

Proud for you! I starded walking to work, 3.9 mi one way. Sure feel better, but still fat.

Gamm